Congratulations to our GCSE cohort of 2018 on achieving the school’s best ever set of results. 74% of students achieved a Grade 4 or above in both English and Maths. 26% of entries were awarded Grade 7 or above........... See ‘News & Events’ section for more information. Congratulations to our Year 13 students for their excellent A Level results - 98% A*-E grades and 76% A*-C grades, see 'News & Events' section for more details ..... .
Home Page

Theme of the week is: Celebration

AS Physical Education



Examining Board: Method of Assessment: Link Tutor: Mr P Rees
AQA Theory - 70% 

Practical - 30% 


Physical Education is split into 7 modules, one of which is a practical, externally moderated, performance. The theoretical concepts are assessed via two exam papers. These papers are 2 hours, 105 marks and worth 35% of the A-Level each. The theoretical aspects of the course therefore make up 70% of the overall qualification; the remaining 30% is assessed practically.

Paper 1: Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport
- Section A: Applied anatomy and physiology (35 marks)
- Section B: Skill acquisition (35 marks)
- Section C: Sport and Society (35 marks)

Paper 2: Factors affecting optimal performance in physical activity and sport
- Section A: Exercise physiology and Biomechanics (35 marks)
- Section B: Sport Psychology (35 marks)
- Section C: Sport and society and technology in sport (35 marks)

Non Exam assessment: Practical performance in physical activity and sport 
- Students assessed as a performer or coach in the full sided version of one activity.
- Written or verbal analysis of performance
- 90 marks

Lesson style:
Teachers use a range of teaching styles during the delivery including PowerPoint, presentations, university visits and group discussion. Students have eight lessons taught over a two-week timetable. 95% of lessons are theory based; with few practical lessons. It is strongly advised that all A Level PE students are performing a sport at club/county level in the school or community, especially as they are now only assessed in one practical activity.

Time Allocation:
Eight hours taught over a two-week timetable. Most lessons are theory based; students complete their practical attendance through a club. It is compulsory that all A Level PE students are performing their sport at club level in the school or community.


Private Study Requirement:
Extensive private study and independent research is required. Minimum of 4 hours independent study per week. Weekly participation in students chosen practical sport.


Advisable for following careers:

Sport Science Degree, PE Teaching Degree, Physiotherapy, Sport Psychology, Sports Development and Management, Coaching. 


Good Combination with:
Biology or any Science, Psychology or LSCA (Community Sports Leader Award).